Thursday, 6 November 2014

Week 9; having some trouble.

The following SLOGs all mentioned delta-epsilon proofs when talking about assignment 2.

http://165timeslogically.blogspot.ca/

http://csc165wumeng.blogspot.ca/

http://csc165justinsong.blogspot.ca/

I didn't remember learning about this in class, so I looked it up online. It turns out we did learn about it after all during the lectures, but I didn't realize it was a particularly important type of proof. Sometimes it is hard to know what I should take notes on in class. I do not like Professor Heap's method of preparing slides before class and annotating them during the lecture. It is impossible to write down the important points from the slide and pay attention to the lecture at the same time, especially when he quickly passes over the slides with a lot of text in order to write on the more empty ones. If I don't write notes, I am not able to retain the information. I have tried reviewing the annotated slides on the website after class but they do not make as much sense without the context of what the professor was saying as he wrote them.

This problem is even worse now that we are analyzing program run time. There isn't time to copy down the code to paper, and the annotations on the slides are meaningless after the lecture. I need to print the slides before class and make my own annotations, but mine may not be any more useful on later review. I have already noticed I do not understand how to find big-O and big-Omega for an algorithm as clearly as I understood things at the beginning of the course. I hope I can find a way to follow along better because I really struggled with this week's quiz.

No comments:

Post a Comment